Is it Healthier to Cook at Home, or Not?
Interestingly enough, in the early 1900s, only 2% of meals were eaten outside the home. By 2010, 50% of meals were eaten outside the home, and even those consumed at home were often on-the-run or in front of the television.
It’s never been easier to feed your family, thanks to fast food restaurants, fast casual restaurants, grocery store-prepared take-home meals and frozen foods, including “short cuts” where you just have to add a few ingredients. While it’s hard to argue with the convenience, there are some cold hard facts that should make you reconsider eating out.
- Cooking at home gives you peace of mind that you know exactly what the ingredients are.
- It’s easier to address food allergies or intolerances with a home-cooked meal.
- It’s easier to resist temptations and consume foods that may not be good for you, especially if you are diabetic.
- Restaurants and other commercially prepared foods are usually very high in fat, salt and sugar—three things we need LESS of. It’s easier to gain weight eating restaurant foods.
- It’s easier to control portion sizes! Many times, portions served in restaurants are “super sized” and way too large, again, potentially leading to weight gain.
- There are fewer food-borne illnesses when meals are prepared and eaten at home.
- When you eat at home, your body gets used to eating healthier, which makes it easier to lose weight.
- It’s actually less expensive to prepare meals at home than to eat out. That gives you more expendable income to do fun things together as a family.
- Children actually benefit from eating at home. Research shows that children who have regular meals with their parents get better grades, have healthier relationships, are 42% less like to drink alcohol and are 50% less likely to smoke.
Need some healthy recipes? Check out http://bit.ly/1SWRD5V.
Staying healthy can keep you out of the doctor’s office, but at Valley Day & Night Clinic, we can provide you with that extra step! With healthy living workshops and insight from experienced physicians, you can feel your best with Valley Day & Night Clinic.