How to Start and Maintain an Exercise Routine
It’s a new year and many of us have made resolutions to get in better shape. But how exactly do you do that? It’s actually easier than you think. Here are five steps to kick-start your new workout routine.
1. Talk to your doctor. Your doctor can review your current condition and provide advice about the right kind of exercise plan for you. It’s important to start out slow and steady, especially if you haven’t worked out much in the past. Your doctor can also provide guidance about your dietary needs, as well.
2. Find a workout buddy. It can be a friend or family member, or even a co-worker. It’s harder to blow off a work out when someone else is depending on you to show up. Whether you’re walking 20 minutes a day or training for a 5K, it’s easier to succeed with a workout buddy.
3. Understand your energy cycle. Some folks are morning people; others don’t get going until the evening. Find the right time for your workout, and stick to it.
4. Set a realistic goal. Maybe you want to lose five pounds, or maybe you want to be able to go up the stairs without huffing and puffing. Set a goal and once you reach it, set another one.
5. Have fun. Exercise can be fun. Take a Zumba class, fast walk around the lake at a local park, take up rollerblading or use a music playlist to set your pace. The more fun you make it, the more likely you are to reach your goal!
Want help with the process? Call us to learn more about our Weight Loss Program and Wellness Clinic. Just remember—Valley Day & Night Clinic is here to help!