10 Tips for Allergy Season
Ah, Spring. The days are getting longer and brighter, the weather’s warmer and everything’s starting to bloom and bud. While it’s a gorgeous time of year, it can also be a difficult time thanks to all the pollen that’s in the air. Allergy season is upon us, and many people have serious allergy issues. If you find yourself with sneezing, itchy eyes and a runny nose, you know what we’re talking about. However, there are ways to alleviate allergy symptoms and reduce suffering.
- Keep your windows shut to reduce the amount of pollen that enters your home.
- Move your workout indoors. While it’s great to exercise outdoors, the exposure to pollen will increase your allergy symptoms.
- Wear sunglasses outdoors, to prevent pollen from getting in your eyes.
- Remove your shoes and work clothes when you get home. That way, you won’t carry in pollens and allergens from the outdoors.
- Take a shower before you go to bed at night to remove any pollen before you get into bed.
- Try a saline nasal rinse. It can help clear allergens like pollen from your nasal membranes and minimize symptoms. Do this once or twice daily during allergy season.
- Try over the counter antihistamines or decongestants. You can talk to your pharmacist about your symptoms and get a recommendation. However, many have side effects, or can react to medications you might already be taking. Talking to a doctor is always recommended.
- Listen to your body. If you are feeling just plain awful, rest, go to bed early—or even take a sick day. “Pushing it” will only make you feel worse.
- Make sure that you actually have allergies! The physicians at Valley Day & Night Clinic can determine allergies through diagnostic testing and evaluation, and create a unique plan that can provide you with treatment and solutions.
Remember, allergies can show up at any time of life—and tend to run in the family—so if you are experiencing symptoms, walk in to any of our five locations. With the right diagnosis, you can find relief from symptoms and be able to enjoy the great outdoors this Spring!